Sunday, February 6, 2011

Locs Are "Eww, Yuck, GROSS" ?!?

Ok today someone kinda rubbed me the wrong way when they said locs are "eww, yuck & GROSS".....now this was not directed towards me {definitely would have shut her down} and this is not the first time this chick has expressed her loathe for locs. 

We're not good friends or anything, but associates from high school. But I honestly did not know she really had a disdain for locs. I'm a little speechless/thrown because I've never been the one to look at locs as a disgusting or an inappropriate style to have, and never did I think they were "gross". Even in my relaxer days I would always say "child, i would never lock my hair", but that was because I thought my hair was too soft {I honestly have that hawaiian silky soft, curly hair}, hence the raised eyebrows and "what the hell did you do to yourself" convos after I got SL'd.

Yes, the relaxer gives you that "European" look that most black women are dying to have, but I can honestly say I would give that up easily for the versatility and management for locs any day. Now when someone says that locs are gross or yucky, I'm assuming they are thinking that locs has all this build up and smells that they think comes from the build up. What I've realized about having locs, its no different as far as hair having build up or smells, hence you having to clean/wash it thoroughly as if you have relaxed hair. When my hair was relaxed, it had all these scents and build up from the products I used or when I sweat from working out, which gave you signs that you needed to wash your hair. Now, would that not be the same thing as if you have locs? O_o {Hmmmmmm}

Im almost 23 years old and I get upset at the women my age who acts so ignorant about the numerous possibilities that we can do with our hair. Now, I dont wanna pass judgement but the chick who rubbed me the wrong way has always been the one who hung out with the "prissy" chicks who tries to have a beyonce-ish appearance {enough said}. Its seriously ironic how she and her crew tries to look all diva-like, but when I stepped out of my "relaxed & hawaiian silky" stage, I have received way more compliments with the locs than I have ever received with the straight hair. 

To be honest, I feel like I am more myself than ever after going natural versus being the victim of the creamy-crack. I could go on and on about being natural, but I guess after going natural you tend to see and hear the ignorance/negativity more often than what you ever paid attention to. Just to be clear, I have nothing against what women choose to do with their hair {relaxed or natural} but you cant be negative/rude about what somebody else is doing because it's not your preference. Show love ladies! Geesh

No comments:

Post a Comment